Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thailand: Ramblings

Thailand is dirty and polluted. Why not start a fire in the middle of the highway?

There are many beautiful sights, but the few out of the polluted haze are over-crowded. The picture below was taken at the famous cove at Ko Phi Phi. We happened to catch the movie that made it more famous, "The Beach", the night before we visited it.

Erdem paid $30 to shoot a gun for the first time. $3 per shotgun shell was way too much for me to pay. He clipped two clay pigeons out of ten, which leads me to believe that either the "bad guys" in movies are shooting with their eyes closed, or they have never shot a gun before and just had a stroke.

Everything looks better in tropical climates.

The big Buddha was really big. I think it was supposed to be 45m tall.

Cats are Buddhist.
It wasn't easy to tell which was the men's bathroom.

Snorkeling is much cooler and much more difficult than I thought it would be. We went around a small island (a few acres), and it was completely surrounded by coral (except for the boat docking area) that was just a a couple feet below the surface. There were few places where you could even bring your head above the water because you'd hit the coral with your legs. There were plenty of places we couldn't go because it was too shallow. One time I thought I had room to come up to clean my goggles, and when I put my head back down, I was inches from hitting several large sea urchins with my stomach. The coral seemed to go out indefinitely, but we weren't there long enough to do anything other than circumnavigate the island. It would have been fun to go farther out where it may have gotten deeper.

On our trip to Ko Phi Phi, we ended up on the gay tour, which provided a little comic relief(Brendan, this one is pretty much a layup).

No comments: